For my second installment of Home Sweet Home I'm taking you to the home of my oldest and dearest friend Lilly. Lilly is the owner of Nell's Compass Candles, she lives in Venice with her husband Charlie and four month old daughter Clementine in a 1920's Spanish home. I've always been blown away by her eye for color and interior design. I'm sure you can see why.
What is your design aesthetic and how has it evolved though out the years?
My design aesthetic is pretty eclectic. As a young adult my style was heavily vintage and heavily hand me down. I would mainly shop at The Rose Bowl and other local flea markets and I scored some great key pieces from my mom's storage unit. As I've gotten older, I've added in some more sophisticated, more modern touches, even though I am still very much drawn to older things. I would say my style now is sophisticated bohemian with a touch vintage nostalgia. I've always liked old objects-vintage cameras, binoculars with worn leather, globes, french grain sacks-items that have history, but I like mixing them into a more modern, clean aesthetic.
Does your taste in fashion meld with your taste in home decor?
Yes it totally does! I love nautical stripes and hippie dresses and that completely translates into my home (see next answer).
What are the 5 items you cherish the most in your home and why?
Not including my husband and daughter, I would say...
1. Our charcoal grey upholstered bed is my favorite piece of furniture. Having a bed makes me feel like a real grown up! It was a wedding present from my dad and step-mom and I love it.
2. My graphic rugs that add pops of color-LOVE. My whole nursery inspiration started with that yellow and cream striped rug (from Dwell Studio). See, I wear stripes and they are in my home.
3. My collection of John Robshaw pillows. I have a serious JR pillow addiction and not enough couch/chair/bed surface areas to cover them in! I love global inspired textiles-anything hand-stitched, block-printed, ikat (hippie dresses!).
4. Photos/Art. I cherish our family photos scattered throughout the house, as well as our amazing collection of Webster photos (thank you Jessie and Guy). We also love our collection of America Martin paintings. Great art made by great friends. How lucky are we!
5. My pair of Eames chairs. Love love love.
What was the hardest item to find for your home?
I find that affordable outdoor furniture is really hard to find. I looked for a long time and ended up getting the chairs from Ikea and picnic table off of craigslist. Both total scores!
What are your favorite places to shop for your home, both in store and online?
I love Weego Home for colorful inspiration. Rose Bowl for hidden treasures. I just purchased yummy linen sheets from Restoration Hardware and have my eye on a few other items. Heath Ceramics for dishes and vases. I wish John Derian had a store in LA, but it's probably best that it's in NYC or I would be in trouble. When it comes to online, I could look at the Jayson Home and Garden website all day, everyday.